Friday 3 June 2011

IAU World Trail Challenge - British Selection

Hi,

Yet another short post tonight, simply to share my pleasure and satisfaction in being selected to represent Great Britain and Northern Ireland in the IAU World Trail Challenge to be held in Connemara, Ireland, next month.

After 34 years since I started running in 1977, and after 20 years since I moved to the United Kingdom, I have finally achieved something, i.e. representing my country, that started out as a distant dream as a child, then developed into an ambition during my twenties and thirties, before being discounted as I approached and then reached my forties.  So for it to finally occur, after such a long journey of endurance sport, is quite a feeling!

I haven't got time tonight to expand on the selection and the excitement of the upcoming race in Ireland, but I think that maybe a wee post about a few of the aims and challenges over the years that I have experienced is due.  Hopefully next week sometime!

The full team was announced today on the UK Athletics Website The team consists of:

AVIVA GB & NI TEAM
MEN
Andy James
Craig Stewart (Forfar)
Allen Smalls (Colchester)
Julian Rendall (Tonbridge)
Stuart Mills (Brighton & Hove)



WOMEN
Kate Jenkins (Hunter Bog Trotters)
Lucy Colquhoun (Carnethy)
Karen Rushton (South West Vets)
Adela Salt (Trentham)
Heather Foundling-Hawker (Honiton RC)

Details about the race are at the following link:http://www.runconnemara.com/live/
 
All the best with your aims and ambitions. 
 
Stuart

6 comments:

  1. Well done Stu. Do us proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great news Stu.

    Really pleased for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant Stuart, it looks likes great course...
    Are you doing the South Downs Marathon next wknd? Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done and well deserved

    ReplyDelete
  5. congratulations big guy, let this be the first of a great journey for you........

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nick, John, Dan, Gary, Johny

    Thanks for the congratulatory comments, much appreciated. It should be quite an experience, something I am really looking forward to.

    Stuart

    ReplyDelete